Monday, October 31, 2005

Are we more than our chemicals?

Drugs scare me. Especially drugs that alter our behavior, feelings, and ways of perceiving the world. And I am not talking about hallucinogens. I am talking about everyday ordinary drugs that your mom might take. That I might take. Uh... that I do take.

I think I have already touched on the fact that without my antidepressant I am irritable, mean, and difficult for even me to be around. I was on hormones for several years after my oophs (as in oophorectomy, or ovariectomy) were removed. Those made a big difference in my behavior too.

And now I am experiencing another mind-altering drug. Prednisone. I have resisted taking it for a long time, but a condition I have called sarcoidosis has flared up to the point it is interfering with my life. I am tired all the time. My spleen hurts. I am short of breath. But being already significantly overweight, I really didn't want to take a drug that would probably make me more so. But my symptoms have just become unbearable, so I called myself in a relatively modest dose of prednisone (10 mg twice a day) and about 7pm tonight, I took my first one.

And at 9pm I suddenly had the urge to clean my bathroom. I couldn't stop there. My floors needed serious vacuuming, so I did it. And the kitchen is always in need of a cleaning, and though my son and his friends had cleaned my kitchen today, I went and finished the job. It is only 10:30 now. When I got home from work, all I wanted to do was fall in bed. Now I feel like sleep is the furthest thing imaginable from my grasp.

I could get addicted to this stuff.

Prednisone. Who'd a thunk it? Anyway, I guess I'll make the most of it while I'm on it. But I do hate being a product of my ingested chemicals rather than my will. I am not the captain of my soul, but only the master of my drugs. So mote it be.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Watch it! I gained 80 pounds on that stuff!

LOL! I know what you mean about the cleaning! I would be up at 4:00 in the morning CLEANING! Watch out for the little rats, though. Black rats...and the little people.....and the walls that shift..... ::Shudder:: I remember seeing things while I was on it. According to my doc - that part was normal, too.

Take care of you.

Charlotte said...

Is there any chance that the increased activity will counterbalance the weight gain aspect of the steroids? Wouldn't that be nice?