Saturday, January 03, 2009

If only I'd had my camera...

I know it's been a million years since I blogged, but I just saw something that screamed to be blogged about. This is just so typical of my beloved homeland in the deep South. I was driving in the country near a small town called Ellabell, and at an intersection where some closed stores and restaurants have created some empty parking lots, there was a truck parked to sell some wares: namely, flags. His truck and some racks that had been hastily assembled had the usual assortment of Confederate flags, "Proud to be a Redneck" flags, and right along with them were flags with Obama's face on them, with the word, writ large, HOPE.

We are nothing if not a land of contradictions. But perhaps, just perhaps, there actually is HOPE.

Happy new year all.

No comments: